Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day #10 - Morgade to Gonzar (19.1 kms)

Before I discuss today's walk, I want to report that I had my very first weird/negative interaction with anyone on this Camino trek. I was staying in a friendly, home-like albergue with only 6 or 7 beds in the hostel & some private rooms as well. I have been trying, when available, to stay in these private albergues, even tho they are slightly more expensive (€8 to €10 rather than €4 or €5 for the public/municipal hostels) because they have a less barracks-like feel & frequently offer dinner for €8 or so euros. Anyhow, i got in early since I had a short walk & was hanging out when i saw that there was some filming going on and, snoop that I am, went to check it out. A guy from Australia was being interviewed & filmed, but I coiled not hear what was being said. Another guy approached me, saying that he was part of the documentary being made, that it was the completion of a project that had been started a few years back. The story was that the person giving the interview had taken six (?) recovering addicts to do the Camino and make a film about the process. Apparently, the guy giving me info (whose name may have been Richard--I am horrible with names) did finish the Camino (told me he got "sick of it") and had returned to complete it. All very interesting to me. We talked a bit more & he sort of annoyed me by making sweeping statements about Americans (e.g. "why should the government bail people out who made stupid decisions about borrowing?" and "what do you think about these Mexicans coming and taking jobs from Americans?). I tried to respond by giving him my view on the situation, that in felt that the immigration panic was not truly about Americans losing their jobs (doing lawn work?) to undocumented immigrants, etc. Then we all went to have dinner with four people at the table with me: the two "recovering" Australians & a guy from Ireland. Richard said something about not wanting to be doing the Camino, that he just was not into it. I responded that I thought it must be hard to do it if one didn't really want to since it was quite demanding & difficult. He said something nasty about Americans always wanting things their way, wanting to plan everything, and then got up and changed tables. Too weird. But then later as everyone was preparing for bed, he sort of yelled at me for walking around & making noise (although it was only 9:40 & it's supposed to be quiet beginning at 10:00). The next morning the Irish guy said something about the Australian having the wrong attitude for the Camino. I agree. It was just so strange to have someone be so irritable and quarrelsome in this atmosphere where everyone is friendly & respectful.

So I was thinking about all the people I have met since beginning this walk & where they were from. In a general order of frequency, I have met many people from all parts of Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Malaga, Sevilla, Granada& more), France (many), England, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway (had dinner with three women from Norway this evening, two who have walked the Camino several times with one being 72!), Italy, Canada, U.S. (2), Australia, Poland & Ireland. That's pretty impressive considering the ages range from early 20s to 70s. And everyone seems able to get along even sleeping in close, at times crowded quarters. If only this reflected the wider society.




Now for a few photos from the day. This was the entrance of an attractive albergue, but I cannot remember where. Many of these are located in tiny villages which may have a population of well below 100 people.



These crosses found all along the Camino and it seems like pilgrims add to them as they pass by.




And I am always on the lookout for the local kitties (of which there are many, especially in the small rural villages).




Just a pretty village home that caught my attention. It seems that having flowers & gardens is important no matter the size of the house or the wealth of the owner. I like that.

Off for tonight. Feet feel better than they have for a while so I am looking forward to a relatively pain-free day tomorrow. Only five more days to reach Santiago if I want to make the trip by bus to the sea at Finisterre.

Hasta mañana.

Posted using BlogPress from Dusty's iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment